convo

General

Forums of the past

I’ve spent a lot of time on various forums over the years, and it’s generally something I remember fondly. In roughly chronological order…

I found fellow RuneScape players on the Zybez forums. I remember being part of a big parade through Varrock one day that we coordinated there. That community was also what introduced me to IRC.

I learned to make pixel art on the Pixelation forum. I was the guy that really liked Pepsi Blue, and my proudest achievement was a very accurate Pepsi Blue can.

After that I spent many years on the forum for a certain pixel art comic that I won’t name here. I must have found it through Pixelation though I don’t remember for sure. I was the first and maybe only moderator of that forum that didn’t know the owner personally. I was proud of that.

That forum eventually closed and a lot of its regular migrated to another forum called Cojawfee that had no particular theme other than our friendship. I went on to meet a few of those people in person and there’s still one or two I kinda keep in touch with. I hope maybe they’ll join this one one day!

Do you have memories of forums in the 2000s you’d like to share? Are you active in another forum these days‽

i hung out on the icodviruses forums. it was all pretty cringe but i eventually joined them on IRC and someone taught me about HTML and PHP.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071231195237/http://www.icodeviruses.com/forum.virus

I was on Room With a Moose, an Invader ZIM message board, most of my time growing up. We were such a tight knit crew that we had IRL meetups, though I never actually partook. The veterans are all still in occasional communication via a Facebook group.

Hipinion is a still-active board that I come back to from time to time and is basically the only message board I’ve actually used in the past decade

Fark.com... I read that book so many times too. Amazed to see it's still up and mostly unchanged.