convo

Entertainment

what are you reading

I'm midway through Pedro Páramo and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet!

I've been very very slowly reading Saving Time by Jenny Odell. I'm enjoying it but sadly I only really read on planes or by a pool. Luckily I have a lot of those settings in my near future!

Pedro Páramo looks pretty interesting, what do you like about it/how would you sell the book?

I'm currently ready Hyperion and I'm a little more than half way through, very solid sci-fi book with a bit of a anthology feel. Liking it a lot.

I just read Hyperion a couple of weeks ago!! Fun format, good world building. Let’s talk when you’re done!

Pedro Páramo: it’s short and about as surreal as fiction can get. Like reading a dream’s libretto. But I think I might be in my Plot Era and not a lot goes on, so.

I just read The Invincible by Stanislaw Lem! It's a bit dated and very hard on the science but I like how it 'resolves'.

I was also mostly interested in it after learning Philip K. Dick reported Lem (and many other admiring authors; Thomas Disch,) to the FBI for communism a bunch of times between 1971-1974. They apparently made a game for it too but I haven't played that yet.

Truly a Dick move.

Currently reading Enterprises, Industry and Innovation in the People’s Republic of China by Alberto Gabriele, basically a study of the ownership structures in China, good stuff but a little dense with economic phraseology; The Birth of Fascist Ideology by Zeev Sternhell, which is about the twists and turns in philosophy that led to explication of fascism; and The Furies by Arno Mayer, a comparative study of violence and terror in the French and Russian revolutions and their /civil wars. Almost done with that one and it’s been fantastic.